Protect your privacy!
Check out the Electronic Privacy Information Center's Top Ten Consumer Privacy Resolutions for the new year [via Dave Farber's IP list]. The executive summary follows.
- Engage in "privacy self defense."
- Pay with cash where possible.
- Install anti-spyware, anti-virus, and firewall software on your computer.
- Use a temporary rather than a permanent change of address.
- Opt out of prescreened offers of credit.
- Choose Supermarkets that Don't Use Loyalty Cards.
- Opt out of financial, insurance, and brokerage information sharing.
- Request a free copy of your credit report by visiting http://www.annualcreditreport.com.
- Enroll all of your phone numbers in the Federal Trade Commission's Do-Not-Call Registry.
- File a complaint.
Justice (Civil Liberties, so-called Intellectual Property, Privacy & Secrecy); Politics & Government (International, National, State, Local); Humor (Irony & the Funny or Unusual); Science & Technology (Astronomy, Computers, the Internet, e-Voting, Crypto, Physics & Space); Communication (Books, Film, Media, Music & the English Language); Economics (Corporatism & Consumerism); and Items of Purely Personal Note (including Genealogy, Photography, Religion & Spirituality).